Hello fellow student, I am here to give you some advice for your ds106 course that you have enrolled in. First I would like to say that this course is super fun, but you only get out of it what you put in. If you love being creative, artistic, and original then this class is for you. On the other hand if you expect and easy A with little to no work then you should honestly withdraw. This course is going to make you work and will keep you buys, but it was worth it for me and im pretty lazy. Do your work on time, dont wait until the last second, and dont expect an easy A and you will be just fine for this course. Enjoy it, take your time, be creative. Simple as that.
I knew this week was going to be a rough one for me due to finals and wrapping up the semester so I decided to get a jump on this weeks work ASAP. I really had fun with this project, and the freedom of it made it one of the most enjoyable ones all semester. I got to just let my creativity wander in all different directions and I loved it. I mixed in written assignments, mashups, visual elements, and audio along with others in order to capture all that I wanted to bring to the table this week. I created a story based around the ties that the Russians and Canadians have with each other, and once I got on the topic of oranges I just went crazy with it and almost included oranges in everything. I even made a map all about orange farms in Russia! I wanted to make sure that this project would be something that I was proud of and since I am still not totally comfortable with the video assignments and video editing in general I decided not to include any of that in the project and I went with different avenues instead. I really enjoyed this project and I am glad that it turned out the way it did. I am looking forward to wrapping up my semester and enjoying my summer!
This is an official brief from your superiors on the actions comprised in the last week revolving around the top secret mission that our agency was involved in. Although our mission has been completed we are still tying up loose ends and therefore this is still to be classified as top secret information until otherwise noted. Below you will find the details of the mission, how it played out, and its successes and failures.
- We intended to gather intelligence on Vladimir Putin in many different forms regarding many different aspects of his life, but most importantly his addiction to Canadian Maple syrup. Specifically speaking one of our agents brought a social media post to our attention that Putin put on his facebook in which was pictured many bottles of Canadian maple syrup. This obviously came across here at the agency as a connection between Canada and Russia, so we went to investigate. Included below is the photo in question.
We could tell instantly that this was taken in Putins yard as we have been monitoring him for years, and you can see the snow covering the ground which is just another connection the Canadians and Russians have in common. What came as a surprise for us was that the maple syrup was actually nothing but a cover up for Putins true tie to Canada, HOCKEY!
It was a slap in the face to see how much interest Putin had in the sport and how we had just totally missed it. This turned out to be the main driving factor that brought the two countries together, and the leaders of each country had bonded over the sport on many occasions.
2. Next was the topic of the “Little Orange Man” that we were told frightens the Russians so much and how much they dislike not only the color orange but also oranges in general. After brief research our agents were able to determine hat the Little Orange Man was actually Donald Trump, the recently elected president of the United States. Here is the photo evidence we were able to obtain.
And with a little bit of mash up techniques the agency was able to render a version of Trump that would really terrify the Russians, which we may use as anti Russian propaganda in the future or perhaps scare tactics.
We were also able to gather information in regards to where the Russians have tried to grow oranges. It turns out that they have tried over 8 separate times to start orange farms in the country and each one has failed, which fueled their hatred for the fruit even more intense.
3. Now that we had plenty of evidence in regards to the Little Orange Man, the Russians ties with the Canadians, and information about their intense hatred for anything orange it was time to finally try and gather evidence that the two countries were conspiring with each other. We managed to intercept a message between the two which was very startling. Listen below.
In this conversation they speak about taking over America and our orange farms. I would recommend that every agent use their general spy knowledge and supplement with their field guides in order to decipher this code.
In conclusion it is clear to see that the Russians and Canadians have been hard at work scheming against America. This information has obviously been presented to the president who is now working on how to handle the situation, but we obviously wanted to keep all of our agents in the loop as well. Carry on.
Agent Man Bear Pig
The time has arrived. We have been hearing rumors of the events comprised in this letter for months, so those in charge have deemed it time to brief you on the current situation. As you may be aware, we have sufficient information proving a collusion between Canada and Russia. Yes that is correct, they are working together and here is what we know.
- The Canadians actually contacted the Russians first. Their cooperation began based off of reports from Canada that “a little orange man is taking over North America and we need help”.
- We know that the Russians despise the color orange, and have a general distaste as a population for citrus fruits, so they immediately agreed to aide their Canadian friends.
- Also a new development on the topic has informed us that Vladimir Putin absolutely loves maple syrup, almost to the point of severe addiction, therefore he is gaining much more than an ally in this deal but a direct source to some of the most pure and valuable maple syrup in the world.
- Lastly we have been told that their goal as a group is to shut down American factories and businesses, take over the country together, and form a Russida world power. (It may be called Canussia, we are unsure at this point)
All of these things are obviously troublesome, so we must take action immediately in order to solve this serious problem before it gets even worse. Our plan of attack is detailed below, please review it carefully and know how you can provide support to this operation as the work begins next week.
- We must gather more information about two things, first being Vladimir Putins addiction to maple syrup, and second being the “little orange man” who is scaring Canada so much. I expect detailed briefs on both of these topics as a written assignment due on my desk by next week.
- We need visual evidence of the Russians hatred for oranges. Is there anything orange in their country at all? Has Vladimir ever worn any orange colored clothing? If they were to attack American orange production facilities or other citrus fruit plants where would they strike? I need numerous pieces of photographical evidence as a visual assignment by next week at the latest.
- Lastly we need to try our best to capture evidence of the communications occurring between these two countries. They could be using Morse code, written communication methods, or just plain talking to each other. No matter what it is I expect this mashup to be presented to me immediately as it is of the utmost concern.
You have been given your mission agents, now carry it out with haste and due diligence. We can not let America be taken over by this wretched cooperation of evil powers.
Agent Man Bear Pig
I really liked the materiel and assignments that we were required to accomplish for this week. I think I spent way too much time looking through everyone’s assignments and trying to figure out which one to do my tutorial on, but in the end I think I picked a good one. There is so many good assignments created though! I also had fun with the mashups trying to make and find new pictures and videos of crazy mashup collaborations. I always find it interesting to look at what others have create din our class because it truly is one of the greatest forms of creativity that we have access too. It might be a slight stretch but I think you could call this an art form, and I think we are all artists!
— Michael Ryan (@mjryanonline) April 12, 2017
So for this tutorial we are going to be looking at “Hunters: The Space Cowboys Of Destiny” and how we can better mold it to fit the desires of the class as a whole. As a video game nerd when I first saw this post I was happy and excited to find something that was right up my alley, but after reading the description I was a little lost so I thought I would try to create a tutorial to help others with the assignment.
First I think we should look at what this assignment really is. I think this should be considered more of an exploration into another character you have created, and less of an assignment centered on a specific game. So to begin its important to find a character you have created, or create a totally new one. This character can be from a story you wrote or a drawing you made or certainly a video game, anything really. One you have the character in mind you can move on to the next step.
Step two is to flesh out that character for others to learn more about it. Give some background for your character, write about its goals or purpose, get the audience engaged with who they are learning about. Then you want to include some sort of images or dialogue in order to really push this character representation to the next level. Take an in game screenshot of your character or draw up a portrait of what they would look like. Another option would be to record voice acting for your character and really bring them to life.
Overall you want to focus on sharing your character with the class and helping them to come to a realization of what it is you are talking about when you refer to your character. Give it a face and a story and the people reading will have a much better understanding of what it is they are dealing with.
When I read this title something immediately came to my mind that I thought fit this perfectly. Now I may not have technically created this myself, but I truly can not think of a better example of a holiday mashup than that of the nightmare before Christmas and jack skellington. This is the perfect example of a mix between Halloween and Christmas and Ive been a big fan for quite a while!
Things are coming to a close in my last semester ever as an undergraduate! Sadly that means I have become increasingly busy but I dont mind because it keeps me on my toes. This weeks video assignments seemed to go a lot better than last weeks especially since I got my laptop up and running again. I really like the assignments where we get to share more about ourselves and have it more situated on us and less on random creative things so I tried to stick with those for my assignments. I hope you enjoy!
— Michael Ryan (@mjryanonline) April 7, 2017
— Michael Ryan (@mjryanonline) April 6, 2017
— Michael Ryan (@mjryanonline) April 6, 2017
I actually thought this one would be funny to do because no joke 80% of my life is spent doing exactly what you see me doing in the video. I am on my computer so often its not even funny. From playing video games to classwork to paid work you can almost always find me on my computer clicking and typing away so I figured it would be a good thing for me to showcase!